2022 Planned Activities
- Conduct Risk-Based Hazard Analysis (RBHA) for SEPTA’s Commuter Railroad.
- Conduct Staffing Assessment of the SEPTA Safety Division Staff.
Assist with revising the SEPTA System Safety Staff Job Descriptions.
- Continue drafting of SEPTA Monthly Brief.
- Provide support to SEPTA System Safety as requested.
- Continue to provide SEPTA On-Call Safety Services as requested.
- Continue drafting of SEPTA Monthly Brief.
- Continue to provide SEPTA with FRA 49 CFR Part 270 SSPP assistance.
- Safety and security certification activities for the City Hall Station Rehabilitation Project
- Develop and deliver an Executive Level Corporate Writing Seminar
- NIMS/ICS and Emergency Management Operations Plan (EMOP) training; training provided to approximately 100 employees from June 2021 through August 2021
- Initiated an assessment of the SEPTA safety staff to evaluate expertise, education, and experience to effectively implement and monitor the effectiveness of the safety management system and requirements of the Federal Transit Administration and the Pennsylvania State Safety Oversight Agency.
- Draft SEPTA 270 SSP Plan for submittal to the FRA
- Grade Crossing Inventory Study
- Developed an inclusive grade crossing risk register for conducting grade crossing site visit assessments
- NIMS/ICS and Emergency Management Operations Plan (EMOP) training; training provided to 500 employees from April 2019 through February 2020
- Assisted with development of PTASP for Rail Operations, Bus Operations and Paratransit
- Developed, drafted, and submitted SEPTA Rail Transit Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan.
- Developed, drafted, and submitted SEPTA Bus Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan.
- Developed, drafted, and submitted SEPTA Paratransit Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan.
- Assisted with TSA Surface Transportation 1582 Rule guidance.
- Drafted SEPTA Monthly Brief discussing new rules, best industry practices, and general transportation industry information.
- Performed a Hazard Analysis and Semi-Quantitative Safety Risk Evaluation of the inter-car barrier of the rapid transit vehicles for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA).
- Developed SEPTA’s Inter-Car Door Hazard Assessment
K&J will continue its work with SEPTA on the following tasks:
- Drafting of SEPTA Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP);
- Drafting of SEPTA’s Railroad System Safety Program Plan (SSPP), under FRA Rule 49 CFR Part 270;
- Developing a National Incident Management System (NIMS) / Incident Command System (ICS) training program for SEPTA staff and presenting training for up to 500 employees;
- Conducting SMS Hazard Management Training (Identification, Mitigation, and Resolution)
- Developed a Safety and Security Management Plan for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) City Hall Station Rehabilitation Project.
- Drafting of Monthly Safety Brief and Newsletter
- Working with SEPTA to develop and roll-out their Safety Management System (SMS) program.
- Safety and security certification of the City Hall Station Renovation project.
- Certification training – completed
- TVA – completed/approved
- PHA – completed/approved
- CIL – completed/approved
- DCCC – completed/approved
- SSRC established
- Design and Construction DCCC/CSCC/STCC verification
- SEPTA’s Road Worker Protection (RWP) program Assessment
- Completed GAP Analysis and combined the Emergency Operations Plan & Emergency Management Plan into one document the Emergency Management Operations Plan (EMOP)
K&J continued its work with SEPTA, including completion of the Rail Transit Review, of rail training and a Peer-to-Peer Comparison to other representative transit agencies. Reports for this task were provided and accepted by the SEPTA team during the fourth quarter of 2018.
Tasks accomplished in 2018 include:
- Drafting of a monthly newsletter or brief that provides a snapshot in time of new regulations, proposed notices of rulemaking, and transit industry information and articles.
- Developed Emergency Management Operations Plan (EMOP) which combined their Emergency Operations Plan and Emergency Management Program and utilized updated standards for management of emergencies by transit agencies. Also included an update of their strategic and tactical protocols based on new standards. Delivered draft and awaiting final review from agency personnel.
- Completed the SEPTA Rail Transit Review, of rail training and a Peer-to-Peer Comparison to other representative transit agencies.
- Review, analyze, and update of SEPTA’s Roadway Worker Protection Program and Training. Draft training program has been submitted for SEPTA review and comment.
- Development of a Hazard Identification, Assessment, and Mitigation Training Program providing a master Microsoft PowerPoint, Handout Materials, Examination, and Answer Key package. Followed by conducting two-day training coursed for SEPTA staff.
- Conducted an “Internal Safety Audit” of several System Safety Program Plan (SSPP):
- Element 6 Hazard Management
- Element 11 Emergency Management Program
- Element 12 Internal Safety Audits
- Element 19 Hazardous Materials
- Element 22 Corrective Action Plans.
2016 – 2017
1: General Transportation Safety Engineering On-Call Consulting Services:
- Develop various Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Develop various program plans (SSMP, SSCP, FRA compliant – SSP – Part 270, FTA – Part 670 SSPP/ASP, COOP, EOP, EMP, ERP, EAP)
- Developed GAP Analysis of SEPTA’s System Safety Program to develop and draft SEPTA FRA Part 270 compliant System Safety Program Plan (SSPP)
- Developed GAP Analysis of SEPTA’s System Safety Program to develop and re-draft SEPTA’s FTA required Part 670 System Safety Program
- Developed GAP Analysis for Emergency Operations Plan and Emergency Management Plan
- Working on combining Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) and Emergency Management Plan (EMP)
- Reviewed SEPTA’s Electrical Practice Procedures for electrical work and pole climbing (metal poles)
- Drafted Electrical Work Practices Procedures, including a procedure for field work
- Research new regulations, industry practices, and activities to develop and draft a “Monthly Brief” for SEPTA’s review and distribution
- Currently conducting a Transit Review of SEPTA’s Training Program for all Rail Transit Modes; including, but not limited to – Student and New Operator, Operator Refresher, Trainer training, Control Center staff, qualifications and experience, Training Delivery, Tenure/Seniority, Benchmarking to transit Industry, Peer to Peer Comparison, Staffing Level, Ratio of Instructor to Student, Supervision, Duration – Classroom, Field, and “In-Seat Operating”, Proficiency, and Efficiency, for each mode of SEPTA’s rail transit
- Perform various Hazard Analysis (OHAs, PHAs, O&SHAs, SSHAs, SHAs)
- Certification activities as needed.
- Support accident/incident investigations as needed