- Support the MBTA through HNTB in their efforts to address the following two (2) Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Special Directive No. 22-4
- Draft new, standardized Right-of-Way PPE
- Draft new, standardized PPE for carhouse personnel
- Develop new Safety Rules Compliance Program processes specific to PPE monitoring
- Designed and implemented TSA-mandated security training approximately 10,000 Security-Sensitive employees and contractors
- Began revising a system-wide Continuity of Operations Plan
- Led the design and execution of Full-Scale and Table-Top exercises for subway and commuter rail services
- Developed After-Action Reports following exercises and incidents
- Drafted program language for Severe Weather Operations
- Supported the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic response processes
- Participated as members to the MBTA’s Emergency Operations Center
- Participated as responding members to the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC)
- In concert with HNTB, K&J is assisting the MBTA with addressing FTA SMI findings, specific to PPE and Safety Rule Compliance Programs.
- Drafted and implemented standard operating procedures specific to chemical weapons attacks
- Performed the DHS Public Transportation Risk Assessment Methodology (PT-RAM) to support MBTA TSGP funding opportunities
- Revised and updated numerous facility Security and Emergency Action Plans
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc. will continue supporting the MBTA’s FLS processes and procedures through process development, program implementation, and agency-wide oversight. The FLS team will continue assisting the MBTA with the various elements of a robust FLS program, including, but not limited to, facility inspection, safety risk assessments, Safety, and Security Certification.
- Development and implementation of a Fire Life Safety Systems Inspection, Testing and Maintenance Plan
- Oversight of CAPs generated from fire department abatements
- Drafting and implementing a voltage testing process for emergency responders
- 15% and 30% design review of the Quincy Bus Maintenance Facility
- Developing an FLS Inspection Program
- Performing technical safety-risk analyses on the storage of flammable materials
- Performing detailed egress analysis of legacy stations
- Conducting code interpretation analyses
- Supporting SSOA triennial audits
- Reviewing and revising facility-specific Security and Emergency Action Plans
- Performing design reviews of the North Station Expansion Project
- Drafting fire department pre-plan map books for the City of Boston
- Performing a detailed code analysis for the storage of combustible materials in maintenance facilities
In addition to the Fire Life Safety Work, K&J was tasked by MBTA Security and Emergency Management to support various agency-wide initiatives. Projects include:
- Revision of standard operating procedures for terrorist actions
- Lead the Public Transportation Risk Assessment Methodology (PT-RAM) for the Authority’s TSGP funding
- Drafting, implementing, and maintaining a bilingual, agency-wide security and emergency management training program for nearly 10,000 security-sensitive employees
- Support ongoing COVID-19 support
- Revising and implementing a system-wide Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) in coordination with state-wide plans
- Design and execution of subway, bus, and commuter rail full-scale exercises
- Drone support for Green Line Extension safety and security initiatives
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc. supported the MBTA’s efforts to address Fire/Life Safety processes as needed under the direction of the Chief Safety Officer (CSO) and Chief Environmental Health and Safety Officer (CSHO). Staff are tasked with on-site technical support that will assist MBTA Safety in a variety of FLS and emergency management initiatives such as operational risk analyses and Safety and Security Certification Program (SSCP) processes.
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, acted as a liaison to the MBTA Safety Review Panel that was commissioned following a series of high-profile derailments. The focus of the Panel is to improve the MBTA safety culture and ensure the agencies activities are aligned with SMS.
(Pending) K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc., as subcontractor to LTK Engineering Services, will provide the MBTA leadership with SMS training and Fire/Life/Safety support.
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc., as subcontractor to LTK Engineering Services, performed a Gap Analysis of the status of MBTA’s Electrical Safety Program and its Confined Spaces Program.
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc. developed an Electrical Safety Program (ESP) and recommended that MBTA operating and maintenance divisions develop the necessary procedures to implement the program Authority-wide.
K&J Safety and Security Consulting Services, Inc. developed a Confined Space Program (CSP) Procedure for MBTA’s Engineering and Maintenance Division, Power Department and Facilities Maintenance Department for Authority-wide implementation.